- Can eating a moldy strawberry make you sick?
- Can you get sick from eating bad strawberries?
- Is it OK to cut mold off strawberries?
- Why do strawberries mold in the fridge?
- Why do strawberries go Mouldy so quickly?
“If you accidentally eat a piece of fruit with mold, [chances are] nothing is going to happen,” Gravely told HuffPost. “Don’t worry about it. Most people won’t get sick from eating moldy foods. Of course, some people are more sensitive than others.
Eating contaminated strawberries could give you a foodborne illness. Common signs of foodborne illness include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches and fever. These signs usually appear within 12 to 72 hours, and they can be serious.
You can cut off at least one inch around and below the mold, wash and then eat the fruit or vegetable. That means moldy strawberries belong in the trash. As for non-moldy strawberries in the same container at moldy strawberries, Still Tasty suggests tossing the berries that directly touch the moldy ones.
The culprits behind berry mold are the evil, microscopic mold spores waiting to make a home of the friendly, moist skin of your gorgeous berries. Fortunately, there is a simple way to kill off the mold spores and bacteria that find your berries as delicious as you do.
Strawberries are like sponges, so once wet, they soak up every bit of moisture, making them more likely to get mushy and spoil faster. Also, wet berries are more apt to get moldy.